Sunday 17 January 2010

SHOW REVIEW: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brixton Academy, London (31/5/09)

The Original R’N’B
Sunday 31st May 2009
Brixton Academy, London

 
This gig begged the question ‘How many Lynyrd Skynyrd songs do you know besides Sweet Home Alabama?’. Many answered none, others answered ‘Freeview’ as heard on the Almost Famous soundtrack if not before. But not many touted they knew 3! At the risk of showing my age, being a hippie chick in my teens and watching Dazed and Confused religiously meant I also knew ‘Tuesday’s Gone’, sad not only for its balladly beauty but as it also signified the end of the movie.

So with confederate flags flying Lyndyrd Skynyrd were introduced to the stage with a fair amount of American fanfare, complete with gratingly annoying voiceover man (‘Ladieees and gentlemeeen, Lynyyyrd Skynyyyrd!’). They may be longhaired and old but they can still rock out. Though missing many of their original members the band have made a healthy life for themselves – admittedly mainly off one song – but their good old fashioned rhythm and blues is a great sound and attracts not only the one hit wonderers but the die hard fans as well. I believe I spotted more George Thoroughgood T-shirts than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

They Southern drawled their way through all the aforementioned hits as well as a whole heap unbeknownst to me, with a down to earth country rock sound that got everyone dancing and drinking. I must admit, thanks to my folks, I’m not adverse to some good rocking country guitar and Lynyrd Skynyrd are one of the masters. They ended the show flying both the confederate flag and Union Jack high and definitely showed Brixton what real R’N’B is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment